Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What's better than buying beautiful art?


Making it yourself! Kev and I moved into our new apartment about 3 weeks ago. The bigger apartment and the extra bedroom sounded awesome... until it came to decorating it. It gets really expensive, really fast! So, I came across an awesome DIY project (on pinterest, naturally.) and decided to try it out. This is what I made!:


We just bought an amazing Ashley livingroom set. The couch and recliner are gray and the coffee/end tables are black and glass. It is a beautiful set, but missing color! I love lots of color in my house so this project was perfect for me.

You need:
20 x 20 canvas (3 of them)
3 24 x 24 pieces of fabric (2 in the same color fabric and 1 accent fabric)
High power staple gun and staples

I chose fabric that had a "less busy" pattern for the outside canvas and a more elaborate, accent pattern for the inside canvas. I took the canvas, wrapped the fabric over it, and had Kevin staple it down (on the back) while I pulled it tight. We did this for each of them. The middle canvas in my livingroom is slightly thicker then the outside two, which gives it a cool look.

And that's it! I even had leftover fabric to do another wall! (I used smaller, 12 x 12 canvases for this)


 
Super easy! The hardest part was finding fabric that complimented each other. The best advice is, don't give up! You'll find it if you keep looking! :-) I've gotten so many compliments on my livingroom decor (and it's only canvas and fabric!) Just wait until I do more than hang pictures!

 


1 comment:

  1. Omg that looks so good! I love how the red pillows tie in with the red flower on the canvas! Wish I could see it in person :)

    ReplyDelete